In lower Montgomery, upper Harris county we have 4 venomous snakes, only 3 of which you are likely to run across: Southern Copperhead, Western Cottonmouth, Texas Coral snake. Below are photos pointing out the identifying marks.
Visual key to the snakes of Harris county brought to you by one of my favorite places to acquire carnivorous plants. Mike Howlett gives several talks a year on snakes, you might catch one at Jesse Jones Park and he can often be found at March Mart and Texas Wildlife & Woodland Expo selling his plants. He recommends the Lone Star Field Guide to Texas Snakes
The Montgomery County Master Gardener Spring Sale
March 8th. Pre-sale talk 8-9, Sale 9-1
March Mart is the largest plant sale in the Gulf Coast Region and serves as the major fund raiser for Houston’s only botanic garden.
You’ll find an enormous assortment of hard-to-find and unusual plants that thrive in Houston area gardens.
Experienced horticulturists will help you select that “just right” plant for your garden.
In celebration of our 40th Anniversary, March Mart 2014 will feature “Thelma’s Collection.”
Mercer Society Members enjoy exclusive private shopping hours on Thursday, March 13th:
VIP MEMBERS 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
All MEMBERS 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Members also receive March Mart coupons and discounts in the Gift Shoppe and other privileges. Call Tami at 281-443-8731 to join The Mercer Society and shop our huge selection of must-have plants first!
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC – NO ADMISSION CHARGE
Friday, March 14th, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Saturday, March 15th, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Wagons are available on a first-come, first-served basis. You are welcome to bring your own for convenient shopping!
Our volunteers work all year long to bring you the best selection and quality of plants that you will not find anywhere else.
It’s the 79th annual Azalea Trail, which will take place on March 7, 8 and 9. Sallie Mansell and Sally Matthews are the co-chairs. We have a fabulous selection of homes in the River Oaks neighborhood and the Tanglewood area for the tour.
This year our theme is “A Houston Tradition…Come Discover Your Roots!” This year’s mission is focused on broadening our reach to include more Houstonians as we better highlight the opportunity to visit these exceptional homes and gardens.
• The 79th annual Azalea Trail is sponsored by River Oaks Garden Club.
• DATES: Friday, March 7, Saturday, March 8, Sunday, March 9, 2013
• HOURS: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
• WHERE: The River Oaks neighborhood and Tanglewood area, Houston, Texas
• WHAT: Tour 4 homes and gardens, River Oaks Garden Club Forum of Civics, Bayou Bend Gardens and Rienzi
• CHAIRMEN: Sallie Mansell and Sally Matthews
– Seven Admissions – $20.00 (Bayou Bend, Rienzi and 4 Private Residences)
– Sales before March 1, 2014 – $15.00
– Single Admission – $5.00 (Available at each entrance)
– River Oaks Garden Club Forum of Civics FREE ADMISSION